Miramar Beach pet owners – New Year’s resolutions to keep your pets healthy & happy in 2018!
1. Schedule two vet appointments this year– Pets need regular veterinary care to live long, healthy & happy lives. Seeing your pet when he or she is feeling good during a wellness exam gives veterinarians a baseline to use in case of trouble. We will update needed vaccinations and discuss early disease detection blood and lab tests.
2. Discuss dental cleanings – Besides bad breath, poor dental health can cause pain and lead to heart, liver & kidney disease. Learn more here.
3. Don’t skip on their exercise – Regular exercise maintains your pet’s healthy weight, builds strength and endurance. Exercise reduces behavior & medical problems associated with inactivity. Do not let the winter keep you from jogging or walking your dog – most dogs will retrieve balls or toys for hours if you will toss it for them! Encourage cats to be active with toys or chasing laser pointers.
4. Consider training – Beyond learning sit, stay & come here, effective obedience training can help your pet become a successful member of your family.
5. Provide year-round heartworm prevention – Heartworms, a potentially life-threatening disease, is prevalent in Florida because of mosquitoes. While treatment is available, heartworm prevention is safer, more cost-effective & without side effects. All pets – even indoor – need to be on year-round heartworm prevention.
6. Help your pet be reunited if lost – Microchipping is a permanent form of pet ID. Veterinary hospitals and animal shelters can scan a lost pet and obtain the owner’s contact information if implanted with a microchip. Make sure the information is up to date if you moved or changed phone numbers. Ensure ID tags are current also and securely fastened onto your pet at all times.
7. Be mindful of what they eat – Talk with us about nutritional counseling for your pet. Certain “people foods” are toxic to pets – chocolate, avocado, grapes/raisins, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts and alcohol and any foods containing xylitol (artificial sweetener often found in peanut butter and desserts).
8. Visit our online store – Shop for your pet’s food, prescriptions and supplies to be delivered right to your door. Click here to visit our online store.
9. Talk to us about our Pet Laser Therapy
10. Keep them looking & feeling fresh and clean – Regular bathing & grooming keeps skin, coat & nails healthy!